Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Select delivery location

La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger

4.4 4.4 out of 5 stars 1,733 ratings

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.
Brand La Crosse Technology
Color Silver, Yellow, Blue, Black
Product Dimensions 3"D x 5.1"W x 1.5"H
Item Weight 1.5 Pounds
Input Voltage 240 Volts

About this item

• Specifications : Input voltage for AC/DC adapter: 100-240 VAC , Charging current range: 200 mA - 1800 mA . Power Requirements : Display : AC power adaptor included , Dimensions : Display : 3.00 x 1.50 x 5.10 (are in inches )
  • Lcd shows capacity for each battery when charging is complete
  • Charges aa and aaa rechargeable batteries simultaneously
  • Select different charging current for each channel: charge, discharge, refresh, test; automatically switches to trickle charge when charging is complete to ensure maximum battery capacity
  • Overheat detection to protect over-charging
  • Works with all nicd and nimh "AA" and "AAA" rechargeable batteries; charges AA and AAA rechargeable batteries simultaneously
  • LCD shows capacity for each battery when charging is complete

Compare with similar items

This Item
Recommendations
Panasonic BQ-CC55SBA Advanced eneloop Individual Rechargeable Battery 3 Hour Quick Charger with 4 LED Color Charge Indicator Lights
dummy
Panasonic BQ-CC65AKBBA Super Advanced eneloop pro and eneloop 4-Position Quick Charger with LCD Indicator Panel and USB Charging Port, Black
dummy
POWEROWL 8 Bay AA AAA Battery Charger, USB High-Speed Charging, Independent Slot, for Ni-MH Ni-CD Rechargeable Batteries, No Adapter
dummy
Amazon Basics Battery Charger for AA & AAA Nickel-Metal Hydride batteries (Ni-MH) With USB Port, Black
dummy
Battery Charger Analyzer Tester for Li-ion NiMH NiCd Rechargeable Batteries C3400 BT-C3400 AA AAA C 18650
Details
Added to Cart
Details
Added to Cart
Details
Added to Cart
Details
Added to Cart
Details
Added to Cart
PriceCurrently unavailable.$33.48$39.38-15% $11.88
Typical:$13.98
$14.25$59.30
Delivery
Get it as soon as Sunday, May 19
Get it as soon as Tuesday, May 21
Customer Ratings
Easy to use
Battery life
Value for money
Longevity
Sold By
Amazon.com
Amazon.com
Powerowl
Amazon.com
DC Workshop
input voltage
240 volts
240 volts
5 volts
5 volts
240 volts
240 volts
battery charge time
3 hours
1.5 hours
10 hours
4 hours
weight
1.5 pounds
0.26 pounds
225 grams
0.35 pounds
0.09 kilograms
0.65 kilograms

Product guides and documents

Product information

Warranty & Support

View the Product Manual [PDF ]

Feedback

Found a lower price? Let us know. Although we can't match every price reported, we'll use your feedback to ensure that our prices remain competitive.

Where did you see a lower price?

Fields with an asterisk * are required

/
/
/
/
Please sign in to provide feedback.

Looking for specific info?

Product Description

Recharge your batteries! Quickly and easily charge AA and AAA batters with La Crosse Technology’s quintessential battery charger.

The BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger can be used to fill all NiMH or NiCd rechargeable batteries, AA & AAA.

Simultaneously charges multiple AA or AAA batteries, and can be set to different charging currents: charge, discharge, refresh, and test.

Defaults to 200mA and automatically switches to a trickle charge after completion to ensure maximum battery capacity. Overheat detection so not to overcharge and the charger will detect a dead battery.

Great gift idea for photographers, toy operators, and constant battery users. Completely portable and great for on the go or just keep it in your home for daily use!

What’s In the Bag?

• Sturdy Adjustable Nylon Carrying Tote Bag with detachable metal clips

• Spacious inside double pockets

• Webbed side sleeve for additional storage

• Includes 4 AA & 4 AAA NiMH rechargeable (shrink-wrapped) batteries

• AC power adapter

• Front Zippered kangaroo pouch includes individual pockets to carry included 4 C size 1.2v battery adapters which are included inside 4 D size adapters

Special Features:

• LCD display capacity level after completion

• Simultaneously charges AA & AAA, both NiMH or NiCd rechargeables

• Select different currents: charge, discharge, refresh, test

• Automatic trickle charge for maximum battery life

• Detects dead batteries & overheat protection

Simple Operation:

1. Plug AC power adapter into charger & wall outlet. Insert batteries
  2. Select Mode: Charge, Discharge/Charge, Refresh/Charge, Test/Charge
  3. Select Charging Current (Rate): 200mA up to 1800mA

Specifications:

• Charges Battery Types: AA/AAA NiCd and NiMH

• Input voltage: 100-240 VAC but MUST have the proper adapter.
(Twisting prongs on A/C cord will damage unit)

• Charging Current: Selectable charging current : 200, 500, 700 or 1000mA. When only channel 1 and/or channel 4 are used, can select up 1500 or 1800 mA.

• Max Charging Capacity: 3000 mAh

Customer reviews

4.4 out of 5 stars
4.4 out of 5
1,733 global ratings

Customers say

Customers like the versatility and battery capacity of the charger. For example, they mention it gives them a variety of options, is intuitive to use, and offers a full range of features. That said, some complain about the quality, heating, size, value, and ease of use.

AI-generated from the text of customer reviews

851 customers mention592 positive259 negative

Customers are mixed about the quality of the battery charger. Some mention that the capabilities are world class, it's an excellent charger for anyone that needs to charge on-the-go, and it has a great variety of charging/discharge rates. However, others say that when they get used up, their voltage is too low, and the batteries discharge at different rates. They also say that the charging current cannot be increased for a new cell to higher than 500mA, and that the batteries are often defective.

"...It comes with 8 batteries, 4 AA, and 4 AAA, and 4 D-Cell adapters...." Read more

"...: This is one of the more important features as it charges each battery independent from another so each battery will get the proper charge without..." Read more

"...battery charger is your answer to how to charge, refresh, fix and test the batteries while getting important technical data that is unavailable from..." Read more

"...Discharge Mode: Discharges the batteries until empty, and then charges until full...." Read more

74 customers mention55 positive19 negative

Customers like the charging of the battery charger. They mention that it has the flexibility to do more complicated charge cycles, the charging times are easily programmable, and the batteries can be configured to different modes and charge rates independently. They appreciate the control over the charging process and the ability to choose the charging current. They also like the detailed controls for charging and testing NiMH cells, and individual programmability for each of the four stations. Customers also like that it allows them to use different recharge cycles like refresh and test, and rechargeable power adjustment.

"...-Programming: All cells can be programmed at once, which is great compared to the individual programming (if not charging at 1A) on the C9000...." Read more

"...Four modes of operation, Charge, Discharge, Refresh and Test.*..." Read more

"...It's main advantages are the amount of manual control it gives you and of course its ability to report data on the status of the batteries being..." Read more

"...Also, once below that critical point, this battery charger will not recognize them anymore and will say "Null" when you insert them to be..." Read more

37 customers mention28 positive9 negative

Customers like the battery capacity of the charger. They say it can track the battery's capacity, perform thorough refresh cycles, and measure the charged capacity in mAh or Ah for each battery. They also appreciate the capacity test function, which is especially nice. Customers also say the charger has a great variety of charging and testing modes, and it has more reserve charging capacity.

"...The BC-1000 also has more reserve charging capacity, 4 D cell adapters that you might use more than you think, and a nylon pouch to keep things..." Read more

"...Measures the charged capacity in mAh or Ah for each battery.* Keeps track of charging or discharging time in hours and minutes.*..." Read more

"...battery charger has three overcharge protection mechanisms, delta voltage feedback, overvoltage and overheating...." Read more

"...In charge mode, does not show the current capacity(-ies)..." Read more

27 customers mention27 positive0 negative

Customers like the versatility of the battery charger. They mention that it gives them a variety of options, is intuitive to use, and offers a full range of features. Some like the refresh function best. Overall, most are satisfied with the versatility and functionality of the product.

"...It also comes in a travel bag and is paired with plenty of accessories like 4 2600 mAh AA batteries, 4 1000 mAh AAA batteries, and 4 C/D-size..." Read more

"Very versatile "intelligent" charger, with independent charging and settings for each battery...." Read more

"...The La Crosse BC1000 could hardly be more different. It comes with lots of options that can be applied independently to each cell...." Read more

"...It has a variety of options that allows you to keep your rechargeable batteries healthy...." Read more

158 customers mention87 positive71 negative

Customers are mixed about the ease of use of the battery charger. Some mention that it's easy to use, with simple instructions and easy to access modes. However, others say that it isn't terribly user friendly and you have to understand what you're doing fairly well. The manual is difficult to read and there is a bit of a learning curve at first.

"...It's simple to operate. I only recharge batteries, so I just hit one button to select the initial current...." Read more

"...-Programming: It's somewhat different to the C9000 in that it isn't straightforward...." Read more

"...using it to charge and recondition batteries, the La Crosses are handier to use and requires no understanding of anything to use it as just a charger..." Read more

"...* Small owner's manual but download the one from the Web. It is much better.BC1000 modes:*..." Read more

120 customers mention79 positive41 negative

Customers are mixed about the value of the battery charger. Some mention it's worth the price tag, a very worthwhile investment, and light for how much is offered. However, others say that the product was expensive, however the results are spectacular.

"...Light as a feather.2) The display and electronics are a ton of fun!..." Read more

"...The C9000 is more rugged and hefty. Also the buttons feel solid and still working after a couple of years of use...." Read more

"...have had MANY revisions of the product but they still suck and are overpriced...." Read more

"...It is a good deal since it is currently priced lower than the BC1000." Read more

48 customers mention27 positive21 negative

Customers are mixed about the heating of the battery charger. Some mention it charges slowly by default, without heating the batteries, and the transformer has not heated up once. However, others say that it gets unusually hot and the AA batteries heat up to the point of triggering the overload.

"...I have never had the slightest heating issues with the batteries - it does its job flawlessly...." Read more

"...I've noticed, when charging at 700mA and 1000 mA, the AA batteries heated up to the point of triggering the temperature safety cutoff..." Read more

"...it will do 4 at a 1000 ma, or 2 at 1800 ma, and has thermal protection for the batteries.-..." Read more

"...] and found it better than BC1000 in many ways - except for problem with over-heating when charging 4 cells at 1000mA. Read my review on it for..." Read more

39 customers mention26 positive13 negative

Customers are mixed about the size of the battery charger. Some mention that it fits perfectly into their Tumi backpack with their MacBook, while others say that the power cord is a little short for their needs.

"...I chose it over the other leading charger because of it's compact size, lack of a blinding blue light, and simple user interface...." Read more

"...Pros:-Compact: Compared to the C9000, this charger was smaller than I anticipated, even after looking at comparison photos of the BC-900/9009..." Read more

"...The AA size is slightly larger in diameter than normal sized AA batteries and they do not fit into most devices I would use them in...." Read more

"...It also comes in a travel bag and is paired with plenty of accessories like 4 2600 mAh AA batteries, 4 1000 mAh AAA batteries, and 4 C/D-size..." Read more

The REAL difference between BC-900 and BC-1000
5 Stars
The REAL difference between BC-900 and BC-1000
I purchased the La Crosse Technology BC1000 Alpha Power Battery Charger, not because I needed another advanced battery charger/analyzer (I already own the La Crosse BC-900, BC-700, BC-500 and the Maha MH-C9000), but because people kept asking me: "Is there any difference between BC-900/9009 and BC-1000?" So here it is, to put the issue to rest...[Exterior]Except for the color, the BC-1000 looks and feels EXACTLY the same as my old (circa 2006) BC-900. Even the boxes they came in have identical illustrations on them. Check out the customer images I uploaded to 'Customer Images' section and you'll see what I mean.[Electrical Spec]The specifications are EXACTLY the same for both chargers, namely:- Operations: Charge, Discharge, Charge/Test, Discharge/Refresh- Charging Current steps for 4 cells: 200mA (default), 500mA, 700mA, 1000mA- Extra Current steps for 1-2 cells: 1500mA, 1800mA- Acceptable battery capacity: 300-3000mAh (my previous testing showed the BC-900 can actually charge up to 3700mAh)[AC Adapter]Again, the two AC adapters looked identical except for the colors. Both are rated for 100-240V AC input, and 3V 4A output. There is, however, a small difference in their open-circuit output voltages. The BC-900's adapter measures 3.0V, while the one for BC-1000 measures 3.17VDate code on the back of BC-1000 adapter says '4710', which means 47th week, or November of 2010,[Firmware Version]My old BC-900 has firmware version '33'. The new BC-1000 shows '37', which is the same version for BC-9009 sold since middle of 2010.Note: firmware version is the number briefly displayed in the rightmost column, after you plug in your BC-900 or BC-1000.[Quirks]Sadly, the same limitations for BC-900/9009 are carried over to the BC-1000:- If you put in a completely depleted cell (battery terminal voltage under 0.5V), the charger cannot recognize it and the display says 'null'- If you were previously charging at 500mA, for example, you cannot subsequently increase the charging current for a new cell to higher than 500mA. You need to remove all cells in order to reset the maximum limit.If I stopped my comparison right here, I would have concluded that the BC-1000 is nothing more than the BC-900/9009 with a cosmetic update. But wait, there's more to the story...[Interior]After I removed the base from my BC-1000 (by the way, don't do this unless you know what you're doing), I was surprised to find a very different printed circuit board inside. There are significantly more components on the BC-1000 board compared to that on the BC-900 (refer to my uploaded picture in 'Customer Images' section):- The BC-900 has just one 'glop' covering the controller IC- The BC-1000 has two 'glops' on its PCB, suggesting that there is an extra controller. Given the past history of 'meltdown' problem with BC-9009, the most likely function for this controller is to monitor temperature during charging.- The BC-1000 also added four bulky thru-hole diodes ('B220' 2A 20V Schottky diode) on the PCB. Again, the most logical explanation is to burn off excessive power during charging, to prevent other surface mount components from over-heating and suffer a thermal runaway.[Conclusion]The BC-1000 may look exactly like the older BC-900 and BC-9009 from outside, but there is significant design overhaul that took place inside. Note that I cannot testify that BC-1000 has solved all thermal-related problems, because I have never witnessed any over-heating problem before. But as an engineer, I know that no company will accept a design change that ADDS cost to an existing product - unless it is absolutely required to fix a problem.Assuming the alleged 'meltdown' problem is really solved, one question still remains: is the BC-1000 a better value than the Maha MH-C9000 (currently available in the same price range)? Personally, I think the user interface of BC-1000 is much better, but other people may disagree. So it comes down to whether you can make use of the bonus items (4xAA + 4xAAA cells, 4xC + 4xD-cell spacers) in this package. If you can use some of them and feel that they are worth paying $10 for, then go for the BC-1000. Otherwise, you may want to consider the BC-700 at half the cost.[Update on May 11, 2012]For general questions on La Crosse chargers, check out my "BC-700/900/1000 FAQ" under BC-700 product page.http://www.amazon.com/review/RK62EGS3P082I/[Update on Feb 19, 2013]I have tested the AccuPower IQ-328 and found it to be practically identical to the BC1000 - down to the same bugs. It is worth considering at its present price (around 60% that of the BC1000).[Update on June 21, 2013]I tested the BM200 Battery Charger Analyzer and found it better than BC1000 in many ways - except for problem with over-heating when charging 4 cells at 1000mA. Read my review on it for details. The same problem exists in IQ-328, by the way.[Update on Jan 31, 2014]There is a newer model of the BM200 called the BT-C2000. It solved the thermal problem of BM200, and offered several improvements over BC1000. It is a good deal since it is currently priced lower than the BC1000.
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry, there was an error
Sorry we couldn't load the review

Top reviews from the United States

Reviewed in the United States on January 18, 2013
This charger is safe for my eneloops, but it also surprised me by making my older Energizer Recharge batteries much more handy. The Recharge batteries don't hold a charge in the drawer very long (why I switched to eneloops), but I can set four of them in a La Cross and trickle charge them so whenever I need them, they're ready! No more dying flashlights lined up on the counter waiting for an over night charge. (Now with two BC-1000 I can have 8 batteries on trickle charge)

But let me give some tangible key points why I love this charger so much:

PROS:

1) It's SMALL and COMPACT -> not as compact as an Apple charger, but about the same size as a "dumb" charger. Light as a feather.
2) The display and electronics are a ton of fun! You can view anything you want with a simple tap - current voltage, time spent charging each battery, mAH added to each battery - and the differences between batteries are dramatic!
3) It's simple to operate. I only recharge batteries, so I just hit one button to select the initial current. It does all sorts of stuff, but I haven't needed it.
4) Accessories - it comes with 4 NimH rechargeables and some C and D adapters, plus a cool carry case I don't use. But it imputes awesomeness.
5) Awesome, incredible customer service! Two months into it, one of mine went haywire. I contacted La Cross, and they immediately replaced it on RMA. I did have to pay shipping to them, but otherwise, not so bad.

CONS:

1) It *would* be nice if there was a selectable backlight to the display. However, I found this a transient wish. Initially, seeing the battery stats was so cool I wanted to be able to see it all the time, even at night. Now I'm fine seeing it just when other lights are on.

2) Changing the charge current takes some acclimation. All the batteries get the same charge current. You have a short time when initially putting in the batteries in which to hit the current button to select a charge rate greater than 200mA. (That default is actually the healthiest, but I punch it up to 500mA). The manual says you have 8 seconds. It seems you get a bit more than that, maybe 30 seconds, but it's a bit stressful. Else you have to unplug it and replug it and you can then set the current again. Not a big deal, but can't in good conscience call that a good user interface.

3) I still need to keep one dumb charger, because for the Energizer RECHARGE batteries (but not with the eneloops), when they get used up, their voltage is too low and with a couple of my oldest Energizers, the La Cross doesn't see the battery (NULL). (Other reviewers sometimes noted similar things with old batteries. ) But I found just 30 minutes in a dumb charger raises the charge to the point where the LaCross can then take over, so I don't need a different smart charger to handle this case. (I cheerfully recharged two of my oldest NIMH Energizer batteries recently - ones my daughter drew hearts on - and they worked beautifully.)

This was *THE COOL* batter charger for me. I recommended it to all my friends. I chose it over the other leading charger because of it's compact size, lack of a blinding blue light, and simple user interface. I have never had the slightest heating issues with the batteries - it does its job flawlessly. Most batteries charge really, really fast, probably because Nimhs tend to look empty early in devices because they have a lower scaled voltage... IN a dumb charger, it still cooks them for 8 hours, but in the Nimh, it's more like 10-90 minutes and they're topped up again.

If having something be cool high tech makes it more enjoyable to you, I can't recommend this more.

LAST COMMENT: I tried to decide whether to get the BC-700, BC-900, or BC-1000, since honestly, there's no features I need in the BC-1000 that aren't in the BC-700. I finally decided that since the BC-1000 was the latest model and had new circuitry to prevent overheating, why risk it for a $20 price difference at most?

IMPORTANT UPDATE: Thanks so much to the person who commented on this review with a tip that wasn't in the instructions:
YOU CAN CHARGE INDIVIDUAL BATTERIES AT DIFFERENT CURRENTS! I tested it out, and here's the way it seems to work:

1) Put in one or more batteries and set the current on them.
2) Wait 8 seconds - you will see the display for those batteries flash. At this point, the current for those batteries is set.
3) Put in one or more additional batteries - you can now set the current on those new batteries independent from the first.
4) Wait until the new batteries flash, then repeat!

This is a cool feature. I found it a little annoying waiting for each battery to "set" - just as found it stressful to insert all batteries before the current "set" - need to come up with some button press to "seal in" the current selection.

UPDATE: Much thanks to the person who commented on this review with information not in the manual:
YOU CAN SET BATTERY CHARGE CURRENT INDIVIDUALLY! (I tested it out.)

Turns out the process I described above works with one or more batteries at a time. After an initial battery or set is in for 8 seconds, the display flashes, telling you the charging current is now "set" for those batteries. Insert additional batteries at this point and you can independently set their charging current in the same manner, and continue... Cool feature, but again, wish you could just press a button for "freeze charge current and continue"...
2 people found this helpful
Reviewed in the United States on February 13, 2012
There will be two different types of readers here. One that just wants to know if this is the one to buy, and how to use it, and the other that wants to know why they should buy it, and the information they need to get the most out of it. I'll start with the former.

Just tell me what I need to know.
1. The BC-1000 is the right one to buy because it has what is necessary to address the needs of maintaining nickel-based batteries, and when you consider the 8 batteries and useful accessories that come with it, it's as good a deal as the BC-700. The BC-700 has the same abilities as the BC-1000 to maintain NiMH batteries, but not quite as much current capacity. Anything less than the BC-700 doesn't have what it takes to properly maintain NiMH batteries.

2. Basic Operation
Charge: (Charges)
- Put batteries in
- Plug in.
*Shows Full when finished

Exercise/Discharge: (Drains, and Charges)
- Put batteries in
- Plug in.
- Select one of the Compartment Numbers
- Press the mode button until you see Discharge
*Shows Full when finished

Recondition: (Drains and Charges until capacity no longer increases)
- Put batteries in
- Plug in.
- Press the mode button until you see Discharge Refresh
*Shows Full when finished. Some batteries may go through more cycles than others and take more time.

Test: (Charges, drains to measure capacity, Charges)
- Put batteries in
- Plug in.
- Press the mode button until you see Charge Test
*Flashes between Full and cell capacity when finished.

OK, now tell me now why I should buy it with all of the details.
1. The need:
NiCd and NiMH batteries both have problems with "memory", which is crystalline formation. The positive nickel plate, a metal that is shared by both chemistries, is responsible for the crystalline formation. With an anode in fresh condition, the hexagonal cadmium hydroxide crystals are about 1 micron in cross section, exposing large surface area to the liquid electrolyte for maximum performance. When the crystals grow to 50 to 100 microns, they insulate large portions of the active material from the electrolyte. After reconditioning, the crystals are reduced to 3 to 5 microns, an almost 100% restoration. In addition to the crystal-forming activity on the positive plate, the NiCd also develops crystals on the negative cadmium plate. Charging partially discharged or charged batteries is what causes the problem. Because both plates are affected on NiCd batteries, they require more frequent discharge cycles than the NiMH. Another advantage of NiMH is they have twice the power density and the same voltage.

NiCd batteries in regular use and on standby mode (sitting in a charger for operational readiness) should be exercised once per month and NiMH every 3 months. The exercise drains the battery to ~1V/cell, and then charges it back to full. Between these exercise cycles, no further service is needed. The battery can be used with any desired user pattern without the concern of memory. However, if no exercise is applied to a NiCd for three months or more, the crystals become difficult to break up. In such a case, reconditioning is required. Recondition is a slow, deep discharge that removes the remaining battery energy by draining the cells to a voltage threshold below 1V/cell. During recondition, the current must be kept low to prevent cell reversal. It will continue to perform this cycle until no more capacity is being gained by doing so, which means batteries could be in there for quite a while if they are badly crystalized.

To achieve long life from these rechargeables we need to:
- Not leave a nickel-based battery charging after full charge is reached.
- Perform periodic exercises on the cells.
- Recondition cells when necessary.
- Avoid elevated battery temperatures.
- When batteries are connected serially, it helps to group them by capacity.

Chargers that lack independent cell charging, or without the microprocessor controlled exercise and reconditioning cycles, simply do not have the capabilities necessary to maintain nickel-based rechargeable batteries. Thus, it goes without saying, you will not be able to achieve a positive ROI from your NiMH batteries with the dumb chargers that frequently come packaged with batteries.

2. Why the BC-1000?
- It can provide the cycles necessary to properly maintain the batteries. Besides Charge, it provides Discharge/Exercise, Recondition, and Test to measure the cell's mah.
- The default current value is conservative for any battery so you can simply place the batteries in it to charge, or select discharge/exercise, or recondition, and not change the current. One that defaults to 1000 ma for AAA batteries is not a good situation when you have non-technical people sharing the charger.
- If you need batteries charged in a hurry, it will do 4 at a 1000 ma, or 2 at 1800 ma, and has thermal protection for the batteries.
- It comes with 8 batteries, 4 AA, and 4 AAA, and 4 D-Cell adapters. (In a household that has only Li-Ion and NiMH, they are handy for the air mattress pump, which is the only thing we have that uses D-Cells anymore)
- You can see what is going on with each cell without cycling through screens.
- It doesn't require a degree in computer mysteries to use it. I was initially torn between this and the Maha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000. The first advantage of the La Crosse BC700 and BC1000 is you can see at a glance how all 4 batteries are doing without cycling through a menu, and just push the button next to each battery to cycle through the readings or set cycle. This is important because even batteries from the same package never finish near the same time. Thus, you can pop out the ones that are finished and use them, and put others in their place to be recharged. The second advantage is it defaults to 200 mah. That setting won't won't hurt AAAs, and many times you don't care how long the AAs take if you put them in there and take the out the next day. Doing even a 500 mah charge on AAAs will overheat them to where they will never get their capacity back I found out. I experimented with the Panasonic 550 mah batteries that come in cordless phones, which averaged about 350 mah. In an effort to see if "juicing" them with a 250 mah discharge and a 500 mah charge would help, I ended up losing capacity I was never able to get back.
- The D-Cell adapters that came with it that I didn't think I would ever use I needed the first day. I witnessed first hand the huge advantage a low resistance battery technology has over a high resistance battery technology in situations where there is a lot of current flow, such as the 4 D-Cell electric pump that blows up air mattresses. For high current draw operations, the alkaline battery internally consumes much of its own energy before it ever leaves the battery to do useful work, much like a resistor loses watts of electricity to heat while providing resistance. Alkalines' initial voltage advantage of 1.5v vs. 1.2v falls off real quick. You can hear it in the pump motor. As you may know, a slow turning centrifugal air pump doesn't pump air, so the usable life of the D size alkalines in this situation is less than AA NiMHs, plus the NiMH batteries are rechargeable. The Alkalines shine for low current draw where their high resistance doesn't matter, and their cost works only if you buy in volume. Low current draw is the ONLY way Alkalines get anywhere near their rated mah capacity. For a flashlight, the one advantage the Alkalines would have is you could milk a very dim light for a lot of hours where the NiMHs simply stop.
- The batteries that come with it aren't junk. The triple AAA 1000 mah batteries clocked in at 898, 939, 970, an 1010 mah. The 2600 mah AA batteries measured 2060, 2090, 2170, and 2270.

3. Why not the BC-1000?
The only problem is documentation. The documentation of its features is spread all over and not always accurate. The instructions above and the truth table below are the clearest means to learn how to use the BC-700 and BC-1000.

Truth Table: (This sounds complicated until you use it a few times and then it becomes logical and you don't need to remember any of this.)
- If no Compartment Number key was pressed and is flashing, the Current, Display, and Mode key input affect all of the occupied compartments. Sometimes you will need to press one of the Compartment Number keys to make changes.
- When you place a battery into a compartment, you have 8 seconds to change the current. If you change the Display or Mode for that compartment during that 8 seconds, the 8 seconds starts over. However, once the 8 seconds expires, you cannot change the Current without physically removing the battery or unplugging the device. Oddly, after the 8 seconds, you can still change the mode.
- When there is a battery located in compartment 1 and/or 4, and none in 2 and/or 3, max. charging current: 1800 mA.
- If you have a battery only in position 1 or 4, when you increase the charge current above 1000 ma, the null indicator for positions 2 and 3 will turn off, and the charger will no longer recognize batteries placed in position 2 and/or 3.
- When there is a battery located in compartment 2 and/or 3, max. charging current for every compartment is: 1000 mA
- If you put a battery in any compartment, and allow the 8 second timeout for Current to expire, oddly, any batteries you add to any compartment after that cannot select a current above that current level.
- The charge current level is fixed at twice what the discharge mode.
- When you set the max current for discharge mode, the max you can select is 500 ma, no matter which or how many compartments have batteries in them, which in turn allows a max charge current of 1000 ma.

Summary: Maha Powerex Wizard One MH-C9000 Advanced Battery Charger and Analyzer has its advantages, but once the tech coolness wears off, and you are just using it to charge and recondition batteries, the La Crosses are handier to use and requires no understanding of anything to use it as just a charger. Of the La Crosses, the BC-700 is the cheapest one that has all of the capabilities required to properly maintain rechargeable nickel-based batteries. When you consider the BC-1000 only costs $16.00 more, and comes with 4 AAs and 4 AAAs, you are already at the same price as the BC-700. The BC-1000 also has more reserve charging capacity, 4 D cell adapters that you might use more than you think, and a nylon pouch to keep things from getting lost. While from a practical use standpoint the BC-700 is just as capable as the BC-1000, all around, the BC-1000 was cheaper, and brought some accessories with it that turned out to be more valuable than I had anticipated.

Update: It's December 1, 2013, and I still can't think of a NiMH battery charger that I would rather have. I've had zero problems with it. What I wrote back then makes just as much sense today.

Update: It's February 11, 2014 and the price has gone up on the BC-1000, so the gap is no longer $16, it's $30. This changes the value proposition between the BC-700 and BC-1000 significantly, since the price difference is now greater than the value of the batteries and accessories that come with it. The 
BT-C2000 Battery Charger Tester Analyzer NiMH NiCd AA AAA C D 12 Volt Powered  starts to look attractive with its 1000 mah capacity and priced at only $13 more than the BC-700. It comes with two adapters to enable you to charge real C and D rechargeable batteries. I'd rather have that than the nylon bag and C and D adapters where you put AAs inside an adapter and still only have the power of AAs. With the remaining $17 I saved, I can buy 8 brand name LSD NiMh batteries of the size I want. Moreover, the BT-C2000 could rig it to run off my car battery, since the AC adapter output is 12V DC.

*** ALSO *** I noticed jjceo did a video review on the BC-1000 here. It enables perspective buyers to be able to grasp the concepts of the BC-1000 and BC-700 interface WAY faster than reading the manual so any usage tips you read afterwards will make a lot more sense.
77 people found this helpful

Top reviews from other countries

Translate all reviews to English
Luis Javier Rodriguez
5.0 out of 5 stars funciona como debería hacerlo cualquier cargador
Reviewed in Mexico on April 27, 2021
el producto es muy básico pero funciona muy bien, si el mundo fuera perfecto, este seria el nivel mas básico de un cargador de pilas, te dice la caga, refresca las pilas, cada espacio de pila tiene un botón para usar varios modos al mismo tiempo, se siente solido, no hay realmente muchas animaciones ni es para las pilas de vape ni nada especial, solo aa y aaa y trae unos adaptadores para poner una aa en vez de las pilas grandotas, el maletincito es de tela suave sintetica y no es para uso rudo pero la tela es de buena calidad y esta muy bien cosido en los bordes. La relacion precio-calidad es muy buena por que ademas te incluye pilas AA y AAA que por si mismas costarían 400-500 pesos
DWG
4.0 out of 5 stars Very good charger
Reviewed in Australia on July 16, 2021
Excellent. Like the fact that you can discharge before charging. Screen is difficult to read..
JimK
5.0 out of 5 stars Looking to identify which four of your many batteries have the greatest capacity so you can use them in a device ...
Reviewed in Canada on September 24, 2015
You might think it a tad insane to spend so much money on a rechargeable battery charger when cheaper ones are all over the place, but this sucker saves you money in the long run. First, it is convenient in three ways... (1) it is capable of charging one battery at a time {which also means that you can recharge 3 batteries at the same time - and not need a fourth!} (2) it instantly tells you the voltage of the inserted battery and (3) it has multiple options for "measuring" the capacity of your batteries and "refreshing" them if necessary.
There are so many options available on this charger that it is almost scary. Looking for a quick charge because you need to use the battery(ies)? This charger will do it. Looking to identify that one battery in a group of batteries that is failing first and causing your device to stop working? This unit will analyze the batteries inserted and find the weak one - then you can programme a "refresh" cycle (which takes a long time to run, by the way) to see if you can "save" the battery from the recycling bin. Looking for a normal, slow low-amperage charge that will not stress your rechargeables? Got it. Looking to identify which four of your many batteries have the greatest capacity so you can use them in a device that you don't want to stop working? This unit will ID the capacity of your batteries.
If there are any drawbacks, it's the learning curve. The manual is complicated and the options are numerous. This charger is for the person who really wants to have the best rechargeables well taken care of by the charger.
4 people found this helpful
José Juan Martínez Juárez
5.0 out of 5 stars Excelente producto
Reviewed in Mexico on April 22, 2018
Es excelente, el paquete que yo compré viene con 4 pilas recargables doble A y 4 pilas triple A. Viene con una pequeño estuche donde también se incluye unos adaptadores para pilas gruesas. Su desempeño es magnífico y permite de manera individual determinar el voltaje de carga de cada una de las pilas. Es muy fácil de usar y de configurar, además muestra la cantidad de carga y el tiempo que tarda para la misma. Una vez termido el proceso de carga muestra en su pantalla la fase de terminación con la leyenda "Full", también indica si una pila ya no sirve con la leyenda "Null". Me gustó mucho el producto, creo que es de los mejores, si es que no el mejor. Lo recomiendo ampliamente.
Andrew
5.0 out of 5 stars Great Charger
Reviewed in Canada on April 30, 2016
Great charger. I love the fact that I can charge batteries individually and at the charging current that I choose, 200, 500, 700 or 1000mA. Different charging modes include: Charge, Discharge/charge, Refresh/charge, Test/charge. The only mode that I did not try was Test/charge, all other modes worked perfectly. Much to my delight, I was able to refresh a couple of old sets of batteries and they are working again. The unit comes with a case (kinda cheap, nothing extraordinary), 2 sets of NiMH batteries (AA and AAA) which seem to be reasonably good quality; time will tell. There are 4 C and 4 D size battery adapters included that I can't really comment on as I have no use for them. The unit does get a little warm while in use and does produce a slight "humming" noise. In all, I am quite pleased with this unit and would recommend it to anyone that uses AA or AAA rechargeable batteries frequently.